Here’s what we have done:
1) Involved them in sports that [my wife] and I enjoy (Baseball, football)
2) Wanted activities that would not pull our family apart. The boys played baseball at the same fields, though not always on the same team.
3) Prioritized church and family time over sports time.
4) 1-2 activities per year (baseball in Spring, football in Fall)
5) Look for activities w/ shorter seasons.
6) NO traveling teams!
7) Teams where winning isn’t everything. We want them to learn to be part of a team, contribute, grow in character, learn to be good winners and losers and have a lot of fun.
One more response tomorrow. Hope these are helpful.